Frequently Asked Questions

Is the road passable for two-wheel drive and hire vehicles?

Yes, from the Arnhem highway there is 18 kms of sealed road and the last 4 kms is unsealed into the carpark, this unsealed section is graded every 6 weeks during the season and only a little slippery if we have had a lot of rain early or late in the season,
(please ring Nick on 0400 246 966 if concerned).

Can I charge my phone?

Yes, bring your 12V charger, the houseboats have 12v plugs for charging and running all small devices even small voltage fridges!

Is there Phone coverage?

Yes, Telstra only, over most of the Billabong

Can I bring my own boat to tow along?

Yes, but an extra boat must be tied to the side and not at the back of the houseboat

Can I hire a tender to go with a houseboat?

Yes, Our 3 and 4 person day boats and our larger fishing boat Renegade 570 are all available some with discounted rates when hired at the same time as a houseboat.

How can the Bond be paid?

The bond can be paid by Cash, credit card or on a debit card on arrival.

The bond will be refunded once the boat has been checked over, with credit cards and debit cards the money can take up to 3 business days to reach your account.

How much will fuel cost me?

The average cost of fuel for the Houseboats on a two night stay will be between $30-$50 when driven as instructed.

Will 6 adults fit on the small houseboats?

Not comfortably, the top bunks on the small houseboats are designed for children however 6 adults will comfortably stay on the three large houseboats.

Will I be able to drive the boat without any boating experience?

Yes, we give you an extensive lesson and they are very easy for beginners to drive.

What age must the drivers be?

The houseboats must be driven by an adult 21 years or older.

Are we safe from crocodiles?

Yes, the Houseboats and BBQ boats are crocodile safe they are fully caged above one meter so as long as you are abiding by our rules - No Swimming No leaning over the water, yes they are croc safe.

Can we swim?

NO SWIMMING, no entering the water at all. There are crocodiles in all the waterways.

Can we fish from the houseboats?


Is there fishing gear available?

Yes, we have rods, tackle and landing nets to hire

Where can I get ice?

You need to purchase ice before you arrive at the Billabong. The closest coming from Jabiru is at Mary River Wilderness Retreat or from Darwin at Corroboree Park Tavern.

Is there an oven on the Houseboat?

Yes, there is a 4 burner stove with oven and griller.

Is there a BBQ?

Yes, all houseboats and BBQ boats have a BBQ.

Is there a fridge on board?

Yes, there is 150 ltr fridge with small freezer on all houseboats.

Is there drinking water?

Yes, there is 200 litres of Drinking Water on board each houseboat.

Is there linen and towels?

Yes, all linen, pillows and towels are provided.

What do I need to bring?

All your own food, personal gear, repellents, sunscreen, an extra esky for drinks is also recommended.

All crockery, cutlery, cooking utensils, pots, pans and linen are on board.

Can I bring mosquito candles?

No, we hire Thermocells which we believe work better and are safer. We would prefer no naked flames or candles on the boats. Any dripped wax will incur an extra cleaning charge.

Can I bring mosquito coils?

Mosquito coils are only permitted if they are burnt while in an appropriate container.

Download Printable PDF copy of FAQ

Saltwater Hotels & Resorts